J. Randall Patterson
Attorney At Law
J. Randall Patterson specializes in representing clients in the area of oil, gas and mineral law, including leasing, mineral management, transactions and negotiations. Mr. Patterson also provides assistance in estate planning and probate matters. He is Board Certified in Oil, Gas, and Mineral Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, and has earned an AV-Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell, signifying the highest levels of professional excellence.
A native Texan, Mr. Patterson obtained both his Bachelor’s degree and his Juris Doctorate from Baylor University. While in law school, he was a member of the Order of the Barristers and the Harvey M. Richey Moot Court Society. In addition, he served as Associate Editor of the Baylor Law Review. After graduating, he worked as an associate for a San Antonio law firm until starting his own firm in 1981. He has written and delivered a paper for the Advanced Oil, Gas and Mineral Law Course of the State Bar of Texas and has lectured to various groups about lease clauses, alternative methods of dispute resolution (ADR) and mediation.
The mission of his practice is, "It’s all about serving the clients." This is evidenced by his dedication to exceptional service and the repeated professional honors he has received. He was listed as a Texas Super Lawyer in the field of Energy/Oil and Gas Law in 2005 and in the field of Natural Resources Law in 2005 and 2008. Mr. Patterson was nominated as one of the Best Lawyers in San Antonio in 2006 and one of the Best Lawyers in America in 2009.
- State Bar of Texas, 1976
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas, 1979
- U.S. Tax Court, 1984.
- Author, "Lease Preservation and Maintenance: Pugh Clause, Retained Acreage and Partial Terminations," 7th Annual Advanced Oil, Gas and Mineral Law Course, State Bar of Texas, 1989.
- Speaker, "ADR/Mediation: It’s Not Just for Litigation Anymore," San Antonio Bar Association, ADR Section, 1998.
- Speaker, "Pugh Clauses and Retained Acreage Clauses," Mid-Winter Seminar, San Antonio Association of Professional Landmen, 1990.
- Chairman, Natural Resources Section of the San Antonio Bar Association, 1991-1992
- State Bar of Texas
- American Bar Association
- San Antonio Bar Association
- College of the State Bar of Texas
- San Antonio Association of Professional Landmen
- American Association of Professional Landmen
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America, Natural Resources Law, 2009
- Texas SuperLawyers, Natural Resources Law, 2005, 2008, 2009
- Best Lawyers in San Antonio, Natural Resources Law, San Antonio Magazine, 2006
- Texas SuperLawyers, Energy/Oil & Gas Law, Texas Monthly, 2005